Tuesday 15 April 2014

Sparkling Happy Bird-Day

Good morning friends!

I have a 2nd Pop it Ups card to share for Karen Burniston's Designer April Challenge with the theme Mama's and Babies using any of her Pop it Ups die collection.

I made a Birthday card for our middle daughter.

If you are wondering how I managed to get a Birthday card out of Mama's and Babies, let me explain.  Kelsey was born on Mother's Day.  Really! AND she is expecting, so soon SHE will be a mother.  See? It's not such a stretch.   ;-)

Because we will be hand delivering the card (probably on Mother's Day, ha!) I was free to make it any size. This one is 5-1/2 x 6".


Just look at those fun bird stamps. I've been stamping for 25 years, and have never been attracted to simple outline stamps before. Now? I LOVE them.  I especially love them all glittered up like I did here.  This was actually an experiment, as on the Elizabeth Craft Designs Team we have been adding Peel-Off's to double sided adhesive, glittering and colouring those.  We had talked about using stamped and digital images and Kelly Booth even did an adorable owl card to show it could be done with stamps.

I wanted to try it too ... so stamped my brand new Paper Smooches stamps onto white card stock with black ink. Then I attached the double sided adhesive and Cool Diamond Microfine Glitter. I polished it with my finger, then coloured the images with my Tombow markers. EASY peasy -- it's easier and faster to colour in the glittered images than it is regular ones.  However, since these pens are water based there is a drying time. As in an overnight drying time. (You wouldn't have to wait with Copics.)




Oh yeah, there was a happy dance.  And since they are so easy to do, I didn't think twice about using THREE of the glittered birds on this card.  The dogs have been set aside for another project.

Here is the front of the card...


Not only does the patterned paper have lots of sparkle, I made a glittered scroll.  To do this, attach a strip of double sided adhesive to white card stock. Remove the remaining liner and pour on the turquoise glitter. After the excess glitter has been returned to the jar, polish the glitter on the paper strip with your finger. This is actually a fun process, you can see the glitter turn all shiny once it's been polished, and the piece becomes quite soft and almost fabric-like.  Once it's polished, you can run the strip through with a die just the way you would with patterned paper or card stock!  I used the flourished scroll that comes with the Agatha Edges die.


I cut two little banners from scraps of the turquoise glittered piece and attached them to the bottom of the stamped journal card with foam tape. The banners come with the Lots of Pops die set.


The Lots of Pops pop up die gave me all the platforms I needed for the birds, and I was able to use some of the decorator dies that come with the Lots of Pops to decorate the card.  Love that flagpole - it's so versatile!   I decided to stamp/glitter/colour a party hat as well and add that to the optional bottom bump that cuts with the Lots of Pops.






The patterned paper had this cute banner strung across it at an angle, so I trimmed the top part off. Then I trimmed a 2nd banner from the remaining patterned paper sheet and popped it up with foam tape.


I used the Agatha Edges die not only for the pretty flourished scrolls but for the green patterned piece above the journal card, which is where we will add our message and signatures.



Supplies used:
Lots of Pops - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Agatha Edges - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Double sided adhesive - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Bird and Happy Bird-Day stamp - Paper Smooches
Party Hat stamp - Lawn Fawn
Patterned paper - DCWV
Tombow Dual Tip Pens (markers)
Tombow Blender Pen
Tombow Extreme Adhesive roller

Thanks for stopping by today!  Be sure to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs Blog tomorrow (Wednesday) to see Karen Burniston's post. She will have pics of all the Designer Challenge projects as well as a new project using the Pop it Ups collection.




4 comments:

  1. A sparkly bird card - LOVE IT! And such fun details too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alltime I think: this is the best card- and you surprise me and make a much better one

    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card Karen! Love the Agatha edges up the sides, and the flagpole, and bunting, and glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of sparkly goodness on this card. I am sure your DD will love it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen