Saturday 4 January 2014

Scalloped Edge Sympathy Cards

Good morning friends ... I found out this afternoon that they will be transferring my Dad from the hospital to a full care facility in the middle of the city on Wednesday morning. The hospital has been really good about keeping him there until Gregg and I get back, and we are very grateful. I don't know how he is going to take the news, as with the stroke his short term memory has been affected and he still thinks when the inflammation in his heel goes down he can go home.  He has a broken hip, and his heel is fine! He cannot bear weight on his own, but in his mind he is just days away from going home.  Sigh.

Today's share is a couple of Sympathy cards I made using lovely vintage looking printed paper.

The card fronts were cut with a scalloped card die (Sizzix) and the card is an A6 size. I love this large size of card, especially since I was able to find envelopes at Staples and didn't have to order 500 of them.  :-)


I stamped the envelopes with one of the flowers from the Sympathy stamp set, and the butterflies were water coloured and punched and glittered.


Because the patterned paper isn't all that sturdy, I added a matted panel inside the cards for stability. To get that scalloped border, I simply cut the top half of the die again with the blue paper and trimmed the sides and edge opposite the scalloped one. I like how it echoes the scallop from the front of the card.





Supplies used:
Patterned paper - K&Co
Label die - Spellbinders
Words - Stampendous
Scalloped card die - Sizzix
Butterfly punch - Stampin' Up
Foam tape
Glitter - Martha Stewart

Thanks for stopping by today!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards Karen. God bless your dad...I have looked after mine after mum died two years ago and sadly had to put him into home care as it was getting harder as he can't walk anymore, his memory is perfect and he will be 101 on the 19th January...take care...luv aNNIe ...I went to join your blog but am already a member...

    http://annieforeva.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best for your dad!
    Your cards are so wonderful! Where you buy such lovely papers? Here in my town ynd in the district town I never saw such nice papers- there is only 1 shop with crafting material - and they dont have a lot


    Have a nice day
    Elma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elma, I buy my papers mostly at Michaels in Canada. These papers I've had for a number of years.
      Cheers
      Karen

      Delete
  3. Karen, your cards are simply lovely!
    Hoping all goes well with your dad.
    My thoughts & prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen