Monday 18 August 2014

Karen B Designer Challenge: Hoppy, Poppy or Chilly

Good morning friends!

I had SO much fun making this card for Karen Burniston's August 2014 Designer Challenge, which was to use one of her new Character dies. I chose Hoppy the Frog and paired it with Karen's new Spiral Circle Pull Card die (SCPC) … only I made a double pull card with a fun surprise inside.

Here is a look at the card in the closed position.


The balloon dies come with the SCPC and you get two balloons so you can cut multiples quickly and easily.  The bow is from the Props die, which has lots of fun props for the Characters.


When you open the left side of the card, you are treated to Hoppy wearing pink glasses (also from the Props die set).

But wait … Hoppy jiggles and wobbles, because she is attached to the card with an Action Wobble!


Boing … who doesn't love an animated card that has a BOING feature?


 When you open the right side of the card, there is a second Hoppy … and she is also attached with an Action Wobble.


 I altered the "a" on the Happy Birthday die cut to read HOPPY instead of HAPPY, and added the cute pink hat just for fun.



The SCPC is SUCH a versatile die … I'm so impressed with the different looks you can get from it. Remember with any of the Pop it Ups card dies - YOU get to choose the size of the card and where on the fold you want to place your animation.

Make sure to check out Karen Burniston's post on the Elizabeth Craft Designs Blog on Wednesday. The rest of the Design Team is linked on the right side of my blog, so be sure to see all the fun creations they've come up with using the Character dies. These dies are really popular and we have been having SO much fun with them.

Notes - the base card stock was cut to 5-1/2" high by 10-1/4" wide, and I scored 3-1/2" from each side. The SCPC was cut on each score line, using the alignment nubs on the score line. I added 2" strips to each of the outer flaps (the dotted paper), and a 1/4" wide strip down each side as well (striped paper).  The striped circles on the outside flaps need to be cut in half or the card won't open properly. I cut one 3" striped circle, and added half to each of the front circles butting the cut edge up against the 2" panel. The inside centre panel (dotted) is 2-3/4 x 5".

Supplies used:
Card size - folded, standard A2 (4-1/4 x 5-1/2)
916 Spiral Circle Pull Card, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
909 Hoppy the Frog, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
911 Props 1, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
917 Clock and Gears (Circles), Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
738 Happy Birthday Lg - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Patterned card stock - The Paper Studio
Turquoise card stock - scraps
Pink card stock - scraps
Black card stock - scraps
Banner Punch - Stampin' Up
White Pen - Uniball
Bakers twine
Action Wobbles

Thanks for stopping  by today!

6 comments:

  1. Such a fun card, loving the double pull card and the use of the action wobbles

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! so much detail and fab instructions

    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love the pink glasses for Hoppy & the bow tie on the balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I really like this card, and have been fussing with it but just can't get it to work. I'm new to card making so sometimes this all gets too confusing. Can you help me?

    "The striped circles on the outside flaps need to be cut in half or the card won't open properly. I cut one 3" striped circle, and added half to each of the front circles butting the cut edge up against the 2" panel." Can you explain in more detail? If the 3-1/2" score marks are where you put the SCPC, what exactly are you cutting in half. Is it the outside circles cut in half after you run the SCPC through the die machine?

    Thanks. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (My response entered as an additional comment, so am reposting it here as a reply)
      Hi Kandace - I'm so happy you liked my card enough to duplicate it! The striped circles are EXTRA circles … or rather a single extra 3" circle that was cut in half. I hope that makes more sense now. So you cut the SCPC on each of the 3-1/2" score lines, cut an extra 3" circle (I used the circle from the Clocks and Gears), then cut that extra circle into two pieces. Add your 2" wide strip on either side of the card - this should make sense when you are looking at your cut card - then close your card up. You will see that the front has only a half circle showing from the original SCPC circle, as the 2" panel covers up the other half. Attach the half circles - one to the left circle that cuts with the SCPC and one to the right. It might help to make one out of scrap paper first to see how it all goes together. I was just flying by the seat of my pants when I made it. :-) Let me know if I can help further.
      Cheers
      Karen

      Delete
  5. Hi Kandace - I'm so happy you liked my card enough to duplicate it! The striped circles are EXTRA circles … or rather a single extra 3" circle that was cut in half. I hope that makes more sense now. So you cut the SCPC on each of the 3-1/2" score lines, cut an extra 3" circle (I used the circle from the Clocks and Gears), then cut that extra circle into two pieces. Add your 2" wide strip on either side of the card - this should make sense when you are looking at your cut card - then close your card up. You will see that the front has only a half circle showing from the original SCPC circle, as the 2" panel covers up the other half. Attach the half circles - one to the left circle that cuts with the SCPC and one to the right. It might help to make one out of scrap paper first to see how it all goes together. I was just flying by the seat of my pants when I made it. :-) Let me know if I can help further.
    Cheers
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen