Friday 6 January 2012

Bird Cage Card

The first of each month, my friend Sue (who lives in a city 2.5 hours away from me) and I pop something in the mail to each other. It's wonderful having someone who really appreciates the work that goes into a hand made card, and knows that the other person feels the same. I haven't yet posted the card I made for her for November (we agreed to skip December as we were both swamped with holiday preparations) so here it is.

This is also my first 'Fancy" card for the first Friday of the new year. Hmmm ... sounds like "Fancy Card Friday" could be another fun theme day once in awhile!  ;-)  Now I know there are some stampers that do Really Fancy cards, and may not think mine are all that 'fancy'. But they certainly involve a lot more steps and supplies than I generally do on my cards, so I get to use the term in my own way.


All papers are by K&Co, natch.  I covered the front of a top-fold A2 card with patterned paper, then tied a silk ribbon (Stampin' Up) near the fold.  One of the things I like about Sizzix dies, is that you can cut thick chipboard. I used a UHU glue stick to adhere a different piece of patterned paper to chipboard, then cut it out with a Tim Holtz baroque die. I outlined it with my Sakura sparkly gel pen for some subtle shimmer, then popped it up onto the card with thick foam tape.


The birdcage was cut out the same way ... patterned paper glued to chipboard and cut it out with the Tim Holtz birdcage die. The butterflies were cut with a Stampin' Up Embosslet die, and I added a small gem to the center of the top butterfly.


A couple of neat layers inside the card as well as a couple more butterfly layers. With all the chipboard and foam tape, this was a fairly heavy card!

Thanks for stopping by today.
***EDITED:  I forgot to mention the vine which the birdcage is attached to! I used Tim Holtz' Regal Crest die -- I bought the die mostly FOR the vine.  I also used it HERE.

2 comments:

  1. this card looks fantastic!
    Hello from Elma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing to do! Pretty card,love this birdcage die,I'm with you,love how easily sizzix dies cut through chipboard.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen