Wednesday 4 December 2013

Whoo Loves You?

Good morning friends!

I just had to make a third card for Karen Burniston's Sizzix Designer Challenge this month. We were challenged to make a Pop' n Cut Card - Anything Goes ... but we each had to choose a different insert. I chose the Sassy Label insert for my first two cards, but really wanted to do one with the Wavy Label insert as well. I love both these inserts and use them frequently.  This one is a card and gift-card holder in one ...


I didn't use the Pop 'n Cut base for my base card, I just folded a 4-1/4 x 11" white card in half then layered on the patterned paper.  I also added this swirly border cut with another of Karen Burniston's dies. To help it ease out of the die, I add a piece of wax paper between the die and the patterned paper.


I used the Wavy Label insert in the A2 Pop ' Cut base and green gingham paper to cut the inside, then cut the top portion again from a narrower piece of the owl print. This gave me a border on each side, and it slips easily over the Wavy Label popped out portion. I added the paper strips after the owl patterned piece was attached in place.


I also added a 2nd piece of the gingham paper in behind the Pop 'n Cut portion, so you don't see the white card base through the Pop 'n Cut opening.


LOVE this owl stamp set from The Stamps of Life. Here I coloured the outline image with pencils after stamping on patterned paper, and paper pieced his wings. Then he was fussy cut and popped up on a white label that was cut with the coordinating Wavy Label Framelits.  I used foam tape to attach the label piece to the insert.


The little tag die is in the set with the Gift Card holder, so I cut two of them and added some lettering and a scrap swirl from the border on the front of the card. A little foam tape and Bakers Twine and the tags were ready to attach to the card.


The Gift Card Holder was cut out of more patterned paper and attached right to the inside of the card. I was careful to keep the adhesive away from the slits in the 4 corners so the gift card slips in easily




I die cut an oval from the Wavy Label Framelit set and did some lettering on it before attaching it to the center of the Gift Card Holder. Just a fun surprise when the recipient removes the gift card.


Corny, I know.   Love it.  :-)

Tomorrow (Thursday) is the day that Karen Burniston does her Sizzix Blog post. She will share her project and also pictures and links to the projects that all the other designers created. Be sure to check them out HERE tomorrow.

(Remember you can always see my Sizzix Flip-it, Pop N Cut and Accordion Flip cards by looking on the right side of my blog under LABELS then scrolling down to the 'S' section.)


Supplies used (Sizzix links are clickable)
A2 Pop 'n Cut Base - Karen Burniston (Sizzix)
Wavy Label Insert - Karen Burniston (Sizzix)
Border - Banner and Borders set - Karen Burniston (Sizzix)
Wavy Label Framelits - Karen Burniston (Sizzix)
Gift Card Holder - Karen Burniston (Sizzix) 
Owl stamp - Stamps Of Life
Patterned Paper -Doodlecharms
Border sticker - Pebbles

Thanks for stopping by today!


5 comments:

  1. Look at all those owls .... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not corny at all! Your choices are brilliant, as always. Summer taught me a neat trick when I was in South Carolina - to rub a dryer sheet over my Thinlits before die cutting. I tried it with that same swirly border during my last class and it worked fantastic - the paper just slid out of the die. Becky was helping me cut and we were able to get three or four cuts per swipe of the dryer sheet, then rubbed again (with the same dryer sheet). Try it and be amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such cute card
    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, you are one talented card-maker!
    This card is just DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm flipping out, this is a magnificent card! NOT corny at all, just the opposite. I knew Frances would love those owls. Thanks Karen for the dryer sheet tip, I usually use wax paper but will give that dryer sheet a go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen