Monday 10 March 2014

Karen Burniston's March Designer Challenge - Spring!

Good morning friends!

Today is the day Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge Team starts to post their challenge cards - be sure to check my sidebar on the right (scroll past the Elizabeth Craft Designs Design Team) to see what the team members came up with for this month's challenge.  Karen Burniston will be posting her card and a new technique on the Elizabeth Craft Designs BLOG on Wednesday.


As soon as I knew the challenge theme was going to be 'Spring', I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  The card size is approximately 5 x 6-1/2" and it fit perfectly in a clear cello envelope.  I cut the All Seasons Tree from brown, and the clouds/foliage from green. I chose not to ink the edges of the foliage before attaching behind the tree, but depending on the look you are going for that's another option.

Just look at those sweet flowers on the tree! That little die comes with the tree (in addition to leaves and snowflakes) so you can cut three with one pass through your cutting machine. I actually doubled up the pink card stock so I was cutting six at a time. I did run it back through again, but the dies had no trouble cutting through two layers of Bazzill card stock. Since I'm completely addicted to Glitter Dots these days, I added a tiny one to the center of each little flower after attaching them to the tree. Love the sparkle and shine of a gem with no additional bulk.


Here is a peek at the inside & I can't tell you how much fun I had making this card. While the Garden Bench is good for all four seasons, it was perfect for a 'Spring' theme.


Now lets get down to the details ... I loved these puffy stickers as soon as I saw them, but I had to figure out a way to attach them to the bench without using strips attached to the back of the sticker and seat of the bench. My solution was to bend down the bottom 'slat' of the bench! Easy peasy and it gave me a nice area to attach to the back of the bunny sticker.

Oh, and while it's probably obvious - I cut the bench portion again from woodgrain patterned paper, snipped away the excess and glued it right over the original. Again, I resisted inking the edges of the die cuts on the inside of the card as well.


I inked the word stamp by colouring on the rubber with Tombow markers, huffed on it and stamped it on white card stock. Then it was fussy cut and attached to the green strip I added across the middle bottom of the card. One of the little flowers from the tree was added to dot the 'i' then I cut the grass (comes with the Garden Bench) five times and decorated the bottom edge.



Because I wanted one of the trees higher than the other, I cut a little hill from a scrap of the floral patterned paper and popped it up behind the bench with foam tape. It hides the bottom of the taller tree as well as being a decorative feature.





I plan on spending a lot of time with the Garden Bench die in the coming weeks - well, once our company has all returned home. There are just SO many possibilities with it!



Supplies used:
780 Garden Bench - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
781 All Seasons Tree - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
7018 Glitter Dots - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Cloud patterned paper - Pebbles
White card stock
Floral paper - Simple Stories
Green patterned paper - K & Co
Pink card stock - Bazzill, scraps
Woodgrain paper - Doodlebug
Blue card stock - Hawaiian Shores, Papertrey Ink
3-d puffy stickers - The Paper House
Happy Spring stamp - A Stamp In The Hand


Thanks for stopping by today!

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Karen, love your two trees behind the garden bench and what a cute bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you alltime create such nice cards- compliment!
    Hello from Elma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, what a DARLING Spring card!
    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I love how you staggered the height of the trees inside the card, too. You captured Spring so well with this card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely Spring card. I always like the Bench and Tree Dies used together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty card with the double trees & the little bird on the arm of the Garden Bench.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen - well spring is definitely around the corner. Such a wonderful card - I collect bunnies & have never seen the bunny stamp before - could I ask you the name and the company that makes the bunny stamp? So enjoy your cards & creativity.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin ... I'm glad you liked my card! Unfortunately it is not a stamp, it is a sticker. A lovely, puffy sticker by 'The Paper House', which I picked up at either Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Hope that helps!
      Cheers
      Karen

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen