Sunday 5 October 2014

Sparkling Pop Up Birthday Card

I have the most wonderful husband. With all the sadness and stress that has come with Olivia's Pulmonary Hypertension diagnosis, I've really been missing my studio.  He stopped off at Ikea on Friday night and bought a bunch of things to get my room started. He's my hero.

It will take him awhile to get it all assembled, but he dropped everything yesterday morning so he could get my desk finished and in place.  Here is the start of my new studio!  I have blinds ordered in the same colour as the walls, so I'll have some privacy at night but can still enjoy the view during the day. Hear that deer? I'm ready for you - come on down.


Our Olivia is still at the hospital in Edmonton, but she gets to enjoy the playroom a couple of times a week. Like her Gramma - Olivia loves to create with paper. What a wonderful environment they have created for these sick kids. Does my heart good to see these pictures.





Onto my card ... it's sparkly. Super sparkly. So sparkly, that when I showed my hubby he actually winced. Ha- good thing it's not for HIM!


I was really excited when Karen Burniston released the Pop it Ups PROPS 2 die in a birthday theme and wanted to use them right away. In order to make my card embellishments sparkly as well, I decided to make some of my own sparkly paper using ECD's Silk Microfine Glitter. I added double sided adhesive to three strips of white card stock then added Pink Peony, Sky and Spring Peridot glitter to the remaining sticky side of the strips. Once it was burnished in with my fingers (which brings up the shine) I simply die cut my pieces from the paper strips!


Inside is the brand new Happy Birthday Pop-Up -- a die that is going to get a lot of use. A LOT. It's like Karen Burniston was reading my mind.




While Chilly the Penguin isn't sparkly herself (it would have been glitter overkill, ha ha) - she IS sporting a sparkly party hat.



Supplies:
Striped sparkly paper - Heidi Grace
947 Happy Birthday Pop Up, Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
915 Lorna Label Pop Up (Label), Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
908 Chilly the Penguin, Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
949 Props 2, Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
616 Peony Pink Silk Microfine Glitter, Elizabeth Craft Designs
625 Sky Silk Microfine Glitter, Elizabeth Craft Designs
635 Spring Peridot Silk Microfine Glitter, Elizabeth Craft Designs
502 Double Sided adhesive, Elizabeth Craft Designs
White card stock

Card size: 4-1/2 x 6"


Thanks for stopping by today.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! For your DH :) love your sparkly card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes what a sweet DH you have! And I love your sparkly card, it's perfect!

    Hugs
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. your desk got a wonderful place at the window! And the card is so nice
    elma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cards Karen. They are so bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! Aren't hubbies awesome? So sorry to hear that Olivia is sick and in the hospital! I know how it is to be hospitalized as I am a 4 time cancer survivor. I am a new blog follower and look forward to seeing more of your beautiful cards and hearing how Olivia is doing. Is there an address that I could send her a card or two? my email is: macaskillbarbara@yahoo.com Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to make this easier for Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely, encouraging comment. Thank you so much, Barbara.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen