Friday 8 June 2012

Sue's May First Card

Since I haven't done a "Fancy Card Friday" in awhile, I thought today would be a good day to share the card I sent to Sue for our May first mailing:


It's a large, 6" square card. Since I was tucking it into a magazine for her, I didn't have to worry about the square envelope going through the mail on it's own and that freed me up to decorate it with LAYERS.  In fact, the whole project is full of layers!


I border punched a strip for the bottom of the envelope, and used a 'My Favorite Things' die set for the name label. All papers are by K&Co (who else??).  :-)  A couple of Martha Stewart punched butterflies and the envelope was finished.

The card itself was inspired by one by Kimberley Crawford in a stamping magazine.  I used the Elegant Edges cartridge to Cricut cut the fancy label shape with all three layers.


Once the label was cut and assembled, I used a Spellbinders die to cut the butterfly from the center then popped it up onto the shadow layer with foam tape.  It doesn't show up in the photo, but I outlined inside the label details with my Sakura glitter pen for just a touch of shimmer and shine.

The words (Wordsworth) were stamped with brown ink then punched out with the Modern Label Punch (Stampin' Up). I adhered it inside the cut out butterfly with a Martha Stewart paper banner piece and a tied button. The pretty ribbon is from Stampin' Up - another one of my Clearance Rack deals from last year.


The inside has layers as well. Since the butterfly I cut out of the front was cut with a die 'shadow' that came with a coordinating topper, I attached the shadow inside the card and cut the topper out of a leftover piece of patterned paper from the front of the card and layered the two together.


Attaching the butterflies together just at the center, allows the wings to be lifted for a little dimension.

It was a really fun card to make, and I enjoyed dusting off my neglected Cricut for this one.

Happy Friday, and thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

  1. love it- the butterfly cards are alltime nice
    Hello from Elma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen