Monday 15 September 2014

Karen Burniston's September Designer Challenge - Spooky September (Card #1)

Good morning friends!

Today's share is the first (of three) Halloween cards I made for Karen Burniston's September Designer Challenge, which is 'Spooky September'.  I knew I wanted to use one of Karen B's new Character dies, and when she came out with the Holiday House die set I knew exactly what I wanted to make!

I die cut the All Seasons Tree from black and white patterned paper in the same Halloween paper stack as in the rest of the card, then sponged over it with brown ink. The sides of the tree were trimmed off to create more of a branch than a tree and I had the perfect perch for my Witchy Owl.

Poppy the Owl is going to be seen a fair bit in this month's Designer Challenge, I'm sure. I love cutting my characters from patterned paper, and this purple pattern seemed like a good choice for the theme.  Kelly Booth often colours her critter eyes yellow, so I tried my hand at that this time. Such a fun look!

The witches hat is a stamp I've had for a long time and it just happens to fit all the Character dies! I stamped it on white card stock and added Double Sided adhesive over the stamped image after colouring. I removed the second liner, and poured on the Silk Microfine Glitter. Once it was polished in with my fingers I was able to fussy cut out my nice, sparkly hat and popped it up on Poppy's head.


The speech balloon die comes with the Lorna Label Pop Up (my new favourite Pop it Ups) so here I cut it out of orange card stock and penned 'BOO' with a fine point black Sharpie.  I added some shimmer with a Sakura gel pen, and also penned around Poppy's chest feathers.


Here is the first peek at the inside, and the Holiday House turned Haunted House. SO easy to do by changing out the papers and colours. Another designer also made haunted houses, and she staggered the windows to make it really dilapidated looking. Fun!

I used the Agatha Edges on the top and bottom of the inner card, and at the Lorna Label Pop Up to animate the Haunted Holiday House. I made a path by using one of the Outdoor Edges, cutting it twice. I have lots of ideas for these Outdoor Edges, but not a lot of playtime with the move coming up so quickly.


The witch and cat are Peel-Offs, which I also wanted to be sparkly. Easy Peasy! When I get my Double Sided Adhesive sheets from Elizabeth Craft Designs, I apply light weight white card stock to one side of every sheet in the package except one. Then I keep it all - including the larger scraps - in the same clear bag the sheets came in and it's all ready for me to use.

I took the two Peel-Off's I wanted to use from the Halloween sheet, and laid them sticky side up on the liner paper that was just removed from a piece of the card stock backed Double Sided Adhesive. Then I laid the sticky side of the card stock down onto the liner, sandwiching the Peel-Off's in between.  When I peeled off the liner, the Peel-Off's are attached to the adhesive with no buckles or stretching. Then you pour on the Silk Microfine Glitter, pour off the excess and burnish the glitter in with your fingers. This brings up the shine like you wouldn't believe!

I added colour with Copic markers then fussy cut the pieces.  I used one of the circle dies from the Circle Accordion and a piece of yellow patterned paper scrap and a double layer of foam tape to attach the witch to this 'moon'.



I added a chunky Glitter Glue to the gables on the house.



Finally, here is another peek at the front of the card.


Make sure and check out what the other designers have come up with for this Spooky theme - all of them are linked on the right side of my blog. Karen Burniston will have her post on the Elizabeth Craft Designs Blog on Wednesday. You will not want to miss it - she  always has a fun video with awesome new ways to use her dies.

Card size:  5 x 6"
Supplies used:
915 Lorna Label Pop Up, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
918 Holiday House, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
919 Halloween Peel-Off's, Elizabeth Craft Designs
503 Double Sided Adhesive, Elizabeth Craft Designs
641 Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, Elizabeth Craft Designs
Accordion Circle, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
782 Agatha Edges, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
910 Poppy the Owl, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
781 All Seasons Tree (trimmed), Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
914 Outdoor Edges, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
White card stock
Glitter Glue
Copics
Patterned paper - Recollections
Yellow print patterned paper (scrap)
Orange seam binding
Witches Hat stamp - Printworks
Sharpie Pen for hand lettering
Black card stock
Sakura Stardust Pen


Thanks for stopping by today!


6 comments:

  1. This is spooktacular, love your witch owl and your scene on the inside rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect card for Halloween!

    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a FUN card....Love everything about this Karen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this card! Just bought the house die, so I can copy it next Halloween!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun!!! I hope you enjoy your new die ... it works for so many different occasions. :-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen