Tuesday 15 July 2014

Evergreen Pivot Designer Challenge Cards

Good morning friends! (Warning, this is a  l*o*n*g  post)

I'm back today with  TWO more cards for Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge ... Christmas in July.  Karen asked that, if we chose to make a 2nd card for the challenge, we make one that was both easy to recreate multiples of and would be economical.  I LOVE the Pivot Card dies for this type of card, as you can create a card with a lot of "ooooooh' factor very quickly and easily.


I used a green pearlized card stock for my card base, cutting the Evergreen Pivot more towards the top. Remember with Pop it Ups dies YOU get to choose the size of card and where on the score line you want your animation to go.

The trees were decorated with the decorator dies that come with the Evergreen Pivot, and then embossed with my favourite Elizabeth Craft Designs embossing folder. Then they were popped up with foam tape.

I used the new (AMAZING) Outdoor Edges to cut the white strip for the front, to mimic snowbanks.


I cut two labels from the Katie Label Pivot card and layered them on the snowbank with two Glitter Dots. Now I know that these labels bring me to four die sets used on this card, but you COULD use any label shape that you already have.  I just wanted to show you how well the Pop it Up dies mix and match together so perfectly.


To create the snowbanks on the inside, I folded a piece of white card stock that was deeper than I needed and cut through both layers. Then I opened it up and attached it inside below the tree pivots, trimming the bottom edge even with the green card. MUCH easier than trying to figure out the exact measurements.


Because I usually like to add a little note to our holiday cards, I stamped the greeting on the left side, which leaves the right snowbank ready for our note and signatures!



The snowflake dies come with the new Spiral Circle Pull Card and they are joined together. The Pop it Ups dies can cut through two layers at once, so when you double up your strip of white card stock you get four snowflakes in a single pass through your die cutting machine! Again, you could use any snowflake die you have in your stash ... but since I'm positive EVERYONE is going to want to add the Spiral Circle Pull Card die to their tool kit, I wanted to show that you can use the decorator dies on other cards as well.  :-) 


Finally, here is what the card looks like from the back and the top ...




Since I had the Evergreen Pivot die out anyhow, I wanted to keep playing.  This strip of Christmas double sided paper had been sitting in my stash since last year, so I wanted to know if the Evergreen Pivot would work on something with such a large border design.  And it did!


Once the Evergreen Pivot was cut from the patterned paper, I quickly cut two outdoor edges from cream card stock and layered them on the card front, trimming the bottom edge even with the patterned paper and layering the 2nd strip up with foam tape.

I have to say this is probably the very first time I have ever cut a red tree. I love how it looks and I will be doing this more often. After embossing the trees with the embossing feature that come WITH each of them, I decorated them with sparkling star Peel-Offs and popped them up on the pivot areas.


I rounded the top corner and layered on a gold acetate snowflake from my stash.


Just look how pretty those red trees look!


The gifts are decorator dies that also come with the Evergreen Pivot, so I quickly cut three from scraps and added them to the inside with a stamped greeting.



Finally, here is what the card looks like from the top and the back ...



Make sure  you check out the rest of the Designers for their challenge cards, AND check the Elizabeth Craft Designs Blog on Wednesday for Karen Burniston's group post and project!!

Supplies used for Green Evergreen Pivot card:
Card size:  4-1/4 x 6"
Evergreen Pivot - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Outdoor Edges - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Circle Pull Card (Snowflakes) - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Katie Label Pivot (Labels) - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Green pearlized card stock - Stardream
Embossing Folder - E119 Swirly Curves, Elizabeth Craft Designs
Glitter Dots - 7018 Elizabeth Craft Designs
Word stamps - Hero Arts
Wink of Stella

Supplies for Cream and Red Evergreen Pivot card:
Card size - 5" tall, 5-1/4" wide
Evergreen Pivot - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Outdoor Edges  - Pop it Ups, Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Patterned paper - K & Co
Acetate Snowflakes - K & Co
Glitter Star Peel-Off's, 7062 Elizabeth Craft Designs
Cream card stock - Gina K
Corner rounder - Creative Memories
Red card stock - Bazzill
Word stamp - Papertrey Ink



Thanks for stopping by today!

6 comments:

  1. This card is so fantastic! I hope one day my english is good enough to order this die in the shop
    Cheers Elma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cards as always Karen, love what you created using this die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Amazing creations LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE !!! xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. karen:
    these cards are beautiful!! i love the cream and red one with those magnificent swirls. what die cut did you use for them?
    thanks for inspiring me with your work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked the cards, and thanks for taking the time to comment! The red swirls were actually printed on the 12 x 12" scrapbook paper. I wasn't sure if a design this large would work for a card, but I was so happy at how well it turned out. The Pop it Ups dies has me looking at all my patterned paper differently now. :-)

      Delete
  5. i could have sworn it was die cuts that you added to the paper. you Do have a good eye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen