Monday 3 September 2012

80th Birthday Goodies

My Mom celebrated her 80th birthday last month and we had a family party for her at our house. I made a few little goodies for her that I thought I'd share today.

First up, were the decorated "York Peppermint Patties".  I love these things, ha ha.  I used a digital scrapbook kit called "Sprout" from The Shabby Shoppe for these and the nuggets below. I added an '80' to each one, then printed out a sheet on regular white card stock. I punched them out with the Stampin' Up scalloped punch, then sandwiched the York Patties between one of those and a yellow, pink or blue punched scalloped piece. Easy Peasy and enjoyed by everyone at the party.


For the Hershey Nuggets, I used the same kit - this time added an '80' on either side of the circle in the center. I printed them out on address labels and attached them to the Nuggets. I can't find these yummy little chocolate bars in Calgary anymore - but a friend brought me some home from Idaho.  (Thanks Jane!!).  Oh, I added some glitter to the flower centers with Stickles for a bit of party sparkle.


I packaged up a few of the decorated chocolates into two glassine bags and added them to Mom's gift bag. I figured that we might eat all the chocolates at the party and I wanted her to have some to take home with her.


The package toppers were cut from white card stock and a pattterned paper from my stash. Those cute banners are why I bought that sheet of paper - so fun!  I also finished up the package of felt stickers that I've had for awhile.  They were in the children's section at Michaels.


Here is the little gift bag I tucked Mom's small gifts into. If you remember I also gave her eighty cards, so they were in a different bag -- a much larger one  :-)   I covered the front and back of a white gift bag (Michaels) with sparkly cupcake paper then tied a bunch of coordinating yarn fibres around one of the handles. The fibres also have some sparkle and shine to them and they matched the sparkle in the papers.


I had a brilliant idea for the party. I ordered a photo printer (an Epson PictureMate Charm) that was SUPPOSED to be here for her birthday. I thought I would take a picure of my Mom with each of the family, some fun party pictures and print them out right there. So I decorated a little photo album for her to put the pictures in. She would then be able to take home sort of a souvenir of the party, and be able to share the photos with her friends the following week.  Well it took an extra three weeks for the printer to arrive, but eventually I did get the photos printed and into her album. 

I used some more of that cute banner patterned paper, a Tim Holtz label die, an Art Impression image (love their funny people stamps), word stamp and number die by Papertrey Ink.  The spine of the album was wrapped with the same sparkly fibres that were on the gift bag.


Another glassine bag was used to package up some circle stickers I made for her. My Mom writes letters, and likes to decorate the envelopes with a sticker. So I printed off some clip art (Lettering Delights), punched them out with a 1" Stampin' Up circle punch then ran the circles through my Xyron. A little bit of glitter and they were done. The label stamp is by Stampin' Up.


Since the fibres were still sitting on my stamping area, I cut down a couple of pieces of patterned paper into bookmarks, layered them with white card stock for stability and added more of the pretty fibres.


I was able to stamp on the white card stock side.  :-)  Stamps from Michaels, in the bargain bins. I've had SUCH good luck with those this year!


Everything fit perfectly into the decorated gift bag, and it was fun to watch her pull out all the little gifts. And she loved everything - so I was happy too!!

Now that I have the printer, I am able to keep everyone supplied with printed pictures - mostly of the Grandkids. In this age of digital, one easily forgets how meaningful it is to actually HOLD a photo. To be able to look at it over and over, take it with you to pass around at a coffee party, and eventually slide it into a photo album. Because there are more pictures on their way!

Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

  1. Think your mom was happy about all the wonderful goodies!
    The image + words are great on the card - wish to find such here!
    And the chocolate- mmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Have a great day
    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun, fun party! You've made so many lovely little favors and treats and gifts - you've been busy! Nice job on everything. Looks fantastic. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen